History

The Society of Jesus, a Catholic religious order founded by St. Ignatius of Loyola in 1540, has been active in the field of education throughout the world since its origin. Its members are popularly known as Jesuits. St. Joseph’s Pre – University College is a religious minority Institution, run by the Jesuits primarily for the education of Catholic youth. It has also been at the service of others without any distinction of caste and creed. St. Joseph’s College, Bangalore was started in 1882 by the French Foreign Missionary Fathers for the purpose of imparting higher education. In 1937, the Management of the College was handed over to the Jesuits.

In the year 2001, the Government of Karnataka decided to bifurcate the Pre – University studies from the graduation studies. In accordance with this decision, the Management decided to merge the PUC Commerce section of St. Joseph’s College of Commerce with the PUC Arts & Science section of St. Joseph’s College of Arts & Science. Thus, this 120 year old Institution gave birth to a new independent Pre – University College, popularly known as St. Joseph’s Pre – University College (SJPUC) in the month of June 2001.

St. Joseph’s Pre-University College and its sister Institutions are managed by the Bangalore Jesuit Education Society (BJES) (Regd.)